Why do people succumb to anger?
It feels so easy to slip into its grasp. But at the same time, from a distance, it looks quite stupid. Aren't we overreacting? What's the point of hitting one another, yelling at one another, going to war with one another? Yet when are up close, immersed in anger, we feel nothing but blissful rage, if that makes sense. Sweet revenge empowers us. Makes us feel as if we are at the top of the world. Maybe it is a survival mechanism. But I sure wish it weren't.
|
|
the need for a title
In journalism, there is always a need for a title. But haven't you noticed how they always have to spin off of something- a song, catch phrase, movie title. Creativity is disappearing quickly.
I'm deep into Into Thin Air. A great read... I just can't put the book down. :[
A point that is stressed over and over again in the book is how Everest is being commercialized. Anyone with enough money and a few months to spare could do the trip. Is it a good thing? Isn't it just bringing the value of the peak down?
A character in the book [which is nonfic of course] coaxes the narrator to come on his guided expedition as "there's already a yellow brick road up to the summit."
Krakauer never really goes out and makes a statement on this as of yet.. Although his assignment was to go out and report on that issue. He does mention that the Sherpas of the area have become Westernized. You'd find people huddling around a TV set, Cub's baseball caps, and jeans.
Increasingly, expeditions to the summit are polluting the base camp area. That's not right. How can we treat the world's greatest mountain, a symbol of nature, so crudely? Why do we feel the need to overpower natural forces?
The author also goes how to tell that the qualifications of a climber have increasingly gone down over the years. Ever since Dick Bass, a rich dude with an ambition, set out to climb the Seven Summits [the highest peak on each continent] common untrained people have set their eye on the summit.
In a comic scene, Krakauer compares Everest to a ball game. Few are actually qualified MLB players, most are just decent local softballers who bribed their way to the big league. And I feel that's just the way it is. They don't belong there. Everest is a prestige earned by hard work and effort- not money.
Money cannot buy everything.
Recently, after watching a movie, I had a keen interest on going to Ladakh. A very pretty place in north India filled with mountains and lakes.I guess wherever you have mountains you've got to have a lake filled with runoff. Maybe that's why I was so appealed to the book. But I've never understood one thing. Why am I so obsessed with water anyways?
For my elective in PE, I plan to go back to the swimming unit. It's been a while since I swam and it makes me sad because it was actually something I liked to do. I was scared of it, but then I liked it. I know I probably won't do much but free swim, but I can't wait to work on my dives..
At the beginning of the year, since the free Man decided swimming was first, I really started to get into dives. I'd do a standing dive and somehow, I managed to get all the way to the bottom of the pool. My ears hurt, but the sensation of falling, falling down 15 feet was really intoxicating. I went down again and again and again until my ears told me to stop.
I also tried to do a flip off of the diving board. I was really apprehensive of it at first, but somehow I mustered enough courage to execute it and.. I landed on my back. :] It hurt, my back felt like it was on fire, but I guess it was better than a belly flop. Can't wait for swimming again. :D
That reminds me.. When I was around 8, I went for private swimming lessons. And at the end of each season, I'd get a little printout that said something like "You swam like a fish this year." It would always bring a smile to my face, and then I would proceed to go down the plastic slide that one would find on a playground, that went into the pool. That teacher was scary, strict, yet fun. I wonder why I stopped taking lessons there...
The sky is a nice shade of cyan. I should be outside; why am I on the computer?
|
|
|
the need for a title
In journalism, there is always a need for a title. But haven't you noticed how they always have to spin off of something- a song, catch phrase, movie title. Creativity is disappearing quickly.
I'm deep into Into Thin Air. A great read... I just can't put the book down. :[
A point that is stressed over and over again in the book is how Everest is being commercialized. Anyone with enough money and a few months to spare could do the trip. Is it a good thing? Isn't it just bringing the value of the peak down?
A character in the book [which is nonfic of course] coaxes the narrator to come on his guided expedition as "there's already a yellow brick road up to the summit."
Krakauer never really goes out and makes a statement on this as of yet.. Although his assignment was to go out and report on that issue. He does mention that the Sherpas of the area have become Westernized. You'd find people huddling around a TV set, Cub's baseball caps, and jeans.
Increasingly, expeditions to the summit are polluting the base camp area. That's not right. How can we treat the world's greatest mountain, a symbol of nature, so crudely? Why do we feel the need to overpower natural forces?
The author also goes how to tell that the qualifications of a climber have increasingly gone down over the years. Ever since Dick Bass, a rich dude with an ambition, set out to climb the Seven Summits [the highest peak on each continent] common untrained people have set their eye on the summit.
In a comic scene, Krakauer compares Everest to a ball game. Few are actually qualified MLB players, most are just decent local softballers who bribed their way to the big league. And I feel that's just the way it is. They don't belong there. Everest is a prestige earned by hard work and effort- not money.
Money cannot buy everything.
Recently, after watching a movie, I had a keen interest on going to Ladakh. A very pretty place in north India filled with mountains and lakes.I guess wherever you have mountains you've got to have a lake filled with runoff. Maybe that's why I was so appealed to the book. But I've never understood one thing. Why am I so obsessed with water anyways?
For my elective in PE, I plan to go back to the swimming unit. It's been a while since I swam and it makes me sad because it was actually something I liked to do. I was scared of it, but then I liked it. I know I probably won't do much but free swim, but I can't wait to work on my dives..
At the beginning of the year, since the free Man decided swimming was first, I really started to get into dives. I'd do a standing dive and somehow, I managed to get all the way to the bottom of the pool. My ears hurt, but the sensation of falling, falling down 15 feet was really intoxicating. I went down again and again and again until my ears told me to stop.
I also tried to do a flip off of the diving board. I was really apprehensive of it at first, but somehow I mustered enough courage to execute it and.. I landed on my back. :] It hurt, my back felt like it was on fire, but I guess it was better than a belly flop. Can't wait for swimming again. :D
That reminds me.. When I was around 8, I went for private swimming lessons. And at the end of each season, I'd get a little printout that said something like "You swam like a fish this year." It would always bring a smile to my face, and then I would proceed to go down the plastic slide that one would find on a playground, that went into the pool. That teacher was scary, strict, yet fun. I wonder why I stopped taking lessons there...
The sky is a nice shade of cyan. I should be outside; why am I on the computer?
|
|
tagboard.
|
archives.
By post:
Uplifting
I feel like the spirit of this thing is sort of dy...
Break down the Wall
I'm sitting outside... There's a nice breeze that ...
Un crayon du bonheur
Rain, Rain Come Again...
Fear and Pain
Bill Nye the Science Guy
Ballads
random bubbles
By month:
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
November 2010
March 2011
February 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
August 2013
|
affiliates.
Just Koe
Thought of Life
Credits
Layout: Mary
Colours: refuted
Host: blogger
|